We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team at Monk’s Hill Ventures as a Venture Partner, focused on the Indonesian market. We are a leading venture capital firm that invests in early-stage technology companies across Southeast Asia. We are entrepreneurs backing great entrepreneurs who use technology to improve the lives of millions of people in the region.
As a venture partner, you will play a leading role in sourcing, evaluating and managing investment opportunities in the most promising startups across Southeast Asia. You’ll work closely with founders and their teams post-investment. This is an opportunity for a well established individual to take ownership of significant responsibilities and build on a venture capital skillset to go deep into the regional tech ecosystem.
All senior members of the Monk’s Hill Ventures investment team have previous experience in investing, startups and/or significant operational experience either as a founder or senior operator - as we believe in having great empathy for the people we invest in, and “earning the right to invest”. Our team values thoughtfulness, a get-it-done attitude, grit, resilience and strong interpersonal skills. A sense of humour and the ability to see the silver lining when the going gets tough is a nice complement.
This role will be based in Indonesia, working closely with our existing team in Jakarta, and will report into our Managing Partners.
- Be an active brand ambassador who embodies our firm’s core values of creativity, discipline, drive and respect in all your interactions
- Lead deal sourcing and external engagement initiatives:
- Build a strong network across the startup and tech ecosystem through proactive engagement with entrepreneurs and other stakeholders
- Identify new investment opportunities and partnerships
- Organize and participate in internal and external events (workshops, conferences, speaking engagements)
- Track promising investment opportunities
- Oversee detailed market research, due diligence and investment analysis
- Evaluate business plans (team, product, market), develop investment theses and deal structures, and deliver recommendations with high conviction to the rest of the investment team
- Make decisive picks on the best founders to back
- Lead deal closing which includes building rapport with founders, negotiating deal terms, and finalizing investments
Support portfolio companies
- Lead or co-lead board-level engagements with our portfolio companies to assist with strategic, operational and fund raising/exit matters
- Work closely with other members of portfolio support team (Talent, Communications, Finance) to create value for our companies
- Continually support founders and their teams on their journey
Build Monk’s Hill Ventures
- Mentor and manage investment analysts and associates
- Initiate projects that improve the firm’s internal operations
Ideal Candidate Background
- 12+ years total relevant work experience including strong operational experience with technology startups or as an entrepreneur
- Proven and wide network in Indonesia, with deep relationships
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Proactive self-starter, takes initiative, ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills
- Deep rooted sense of empathy and humility
- Strong analytical skills
- Prior experience in venture capital, investment banking, management consulting is helpful
- Interest and passion for technology and an aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations, and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges
If this sounds like a good fit for your experience and interests, then reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or directly to our Head of Talent Cheryl Liew: email@example.com. Please provide an updated resume and a brief cover note.